POSITION TITLE: Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator – V
COMPENSATION PER HOUR: Negotiable
Wastewater Grade V position is an advanced journey level class responsible for the full range of treatment plant responsibilities and for the performance of the wastewater treatment facility. You will take direction from the Chief Plant Operator and/or Wastewater Treatment Superintendent.
- Operates, monitors, and maintains all plant equipment and components, including but not limited to pumps, valves, plumbing, gearboxes, fans, blowers, aerators, and flow controls; reads and interprets meters, gauges, and charts; maintains and upgrades mechanical and electrical systems.
- Conducts regular on-site inspections of plant operations making appropriate adjustment to process controls, ensuring that operational problems are identified and corrected; ensures that plants are operating within safety standards established by federal, state, and local laws, ordinances, and regulations; provides training and supervision for less experienced personnel, as necessary.
- Performs basic and skilled wastewater pollution control laboratory testing and analysis; takes samples and coordinates detailed testing with outside laboratories; adheres to quality assurance programs for laboratory analysis and instrumentation; prepares and updates reports, including records and logs in compliance with state and federal mandates for reporting.
- Performs maintenance and construction work as directed on the wastewater treatment system and related facilities; maintains plant facilities and grounds in a safe, clean, and orderly condition; loads and unloads equipment and materials.
- Establishes positive working relationships with representatives of community organizations, state/local agencies and associations, City management and staff and the public.
- Learn to perform and perform maintenance and operations of a wastewater plant and related facilities.
- Collect a variety of samples for laboratory tests and conduct wastewater testing and analysis
- Maintain accurate records and prepare comprehensive reports.
- Perform plant operation and maintenance assignments; respond to after-hours callouts as assigned.
- Interpret, Explain, and apply applicable laws, codes, and regulations; read, Interpret, and record data accurately.
- Analyze a complex issue, and develop and implement an appropriate response
- Follow written and oral directions.
- Observe safety principles and work in a safe manner.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION REQUIRED:
SWRCB Grade V Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator
CWEA Grade 1 Collections System Maintenance Certificate (DESIRED)